UFU receives international students through Exchange Programs and Agreement and Cooperation Programs, established with other universities. Students may attend up to two academic semesters at UFU. The degree is assigned by the home institution, which issues a University transcript that must include classes’ equivalency to be studied at UFU.
To be eligible to participate in the exchange program, undergraduate and graduate students must be regularly enrolled in their home institution of high education abroad, with which UFU has academic agreements.
To those international students interested in the exchange, UFU offers the following options:
- to attend regular courses of study;
- to develop research projects, under the orientation of a teacher from UFU.
To apply to an exchange program at UFU, international students must:
- be regularly enrolled in their home institution of high education that has a formal cooperation agreement with UFU;
- have oral and written proficiency in Portuguese language, which allows them to participate during classes at UFU.
After meeting the requirements mentioned above, the partner institution must forward to DRII the following students’ documents:
- a college transcript, duly translated to Portuguese;
- two letters of recommendation from teachers;
- motivation letter;
- study plan;
- application form; Click Here
- copy of passport;
- 2 photos 3x4cm;
To elaborate the study plan, refer to courses and classes list/ description at the Coordination website of the intended course: http://www2.ufu.br/unidades-academicas
Deadlines to receiving the documentation at DRII:
- until December 1st – to start the exchange program in the first semester (February to July);
- until June 1st – to start the exchange program in the second semester (August to December).
DRII cannot guarantee the enrollment confirmation to those students who present documentation after the deadlines.
Address to mailing documentation:
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia
Diretoria de Relações Internacionais e Interinstitucionais
Av. João Naves de Ávila, 2121 - Campus Santa Mônica, Bloco 1A, sala 1A239
CEP: 38400-902 Uberlândia/MG – Brasil
Acceptance Letter at UFU
DRII will provide the ACCEPTANCE LETTER to those students who attend all the requirements mentioned previously, respecting, inclusively, the deadlines. The acceptance letter will be sent directly to the International Relations Office of the student’s home institution. With UFU’s acceptance letter, students must arrange the STUDENT VISA – VITEM IV at the nearest Brazilian consular service office at their home country.
UFU does not accept exchange students who do not have a student visa.
Students accepted by UFU must provide necessary information regarding their arrival at Uberlândia by filling out the available form here.
Polícia Federal (Federal Police)
As soon as international students arrive in Brazil, they must complete their registration, personally, at the Department of Federal Police within 30 days of the arrival date in Brazil. Visa must be renewed at least 30 days before its expiration date.
Required documents for registration at the Federal Police:
- A copy of used pages of the passport, duly notarized by a “cartório” (a registry office). “Cartório” is the name of a public or private office that has custody of documents and that gives you public faith. The cost of each notarized page is approximately R$ 3,98 (three reais and ninety eight centavos);
- 2 photos size 3x4cm
- the original visa request;
- payment proof of the two fees that are issued through Federal Police website (http://dpf.gov.br/). The fees are: GRU Funapol 140082, of R$ 64,58 (sixty four reais and fifty eight cents) and GRU Funapol 140120, of R$ 124,23 (one hundred and twenty-four reais and twenty-three centavos).
After receiving the Registro Nacional de Estrangeiro (RNE), please verify if personal information such as: full name, parents name, birth date and nationality are correct. In case you find any mistakes, request the immediate correction at the Foreigner Sector of Federal Police, in order to avoid future problems.
Federal Police address in Uberlândia:
Avenida João Naves de Ávila, nº 5.800 - Bairro Pampulha. CEP: 38408-680
Fone: + 55 (34) 3210-2011
Service hours: Monday to Friday, from 8h to 12h and from 14h to 17h.
“Cartórios” addresses in Uberlândia
Cartório 1º Ofício Notas
Avenida Cesário Alvim, 913 CEP: 38400-694
Telephone: +55 (34) 3236-0433
Service Hours: Monday to Friday, from 9h to 17h.
Cartório de 2º Ofício de Notas
Rua Machado de Assis, 685 CEP 38400-112
Telefone: +55 (34) 3216-0252
Service hours: Monday to Friday, from 9h to 17h.
Cartório 3º Serviço Notarial
Avenida Getúlio Vargas, 1045 CEP 38400-299
Telefone: +55 (34) 3236-8574
Service hours: from Monday to Friday, from 9h to 17h.
UFU Academic System
Academic profit of each student will be expressed through grades for undergraduate students and through concepts for graduate students, that is:
Undergraduate courses: students, in order to be approved in each studied course, must obtain at least 60 points in an scale of 100 points and have obligatorily 75% of frequency in each course. Each course has a value expressed in credits, each credit corresponding to a 15 hours/course.